Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Countdown

Every Thanksgiving I always think back to the first Thanksgiving that I hosted. It was four months after Tim and I got married and I was a very rookie cook. My mom hooked me up with the recipes and I was very busy getting everything going. It being a beautiful aftrenoon my hubby and I went out to enjoy while the turkey was cooking away. When we came back into the house we breathed in the turkey smells...or did we! I had forgotten to turn on the oven! Well diner did get done and it was lovely if I say so myself and now 33 years down that road I have been making basically that same meal.
This year the menu is as follows
Roast Turkey with oyster stuffing
Deep fried Turkey
Mashed Potatoes/Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Layered Lettuce Salad
Butternut Squash
Cranberry Chutney
Apple Crisp
Vanilla Ice Cream
On Monday I took out the turkeys. On Wednesday I plan on brining them for a day before cooking.
Tuesday I put togther the mashed potatoes and froze them.
Shirleys make ahead potatoes
5 lbs potatoes
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp season salt
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Cook and mash potatoes. Add the rest ingredients. Put in 3 qt. casserole. This can be made a week ahead and frozen. The day you need it, take out of freezer 2-3 hours before baking to thaw. Bake at 350 for 30-40minutes.
That done I needed to get the Cranberry Chutney going. I like to make this ahead to give the flavors time to do their thing.
I cannot find that recipe to save my life! Have you ever done that? I can see it in my minds eye but nowhere I thought it was, so I found a good recipe on line very similar to my recipe.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1823,146185-251207,00.html
The only deviation I made was to add chopped walnuts. This makes a quart and now its in the refrigerator.
While all this was taking place I was roasting a butternut squash. I will put this casserole together tomarrow. Now I will get some sleep.

3 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I think everyone has a Thanksgiving story. This is a great menu! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Liz said...

Love your blog! Good cooks definitely run in your family!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com