Saturday, February 28, 2009

Friday Night Pizza







Friday nights at my house is pizza night. We have had pizza on Fridays for 33 years! I've made deep dish, thin, fully loaded to very simple. We tend to prefer the thinner crust and I prefer simple toppings. The beauty of making you own is that the sky is the limit with the limit being what is on hand .



The crust came from my good friend Marth Stewart and her guest on Thursdayhttp://www.marthastewartshow.com/. It was fast and simple and he and Martha show how to toss a pizza. Since I forgot to buy pizza sauce at the store I roasted up some old wrinkled cherry tomatoes in olive oil till they popped open then added them to a pan with a can of diced tomatoes and onions. Cooked this till thick and seasoned with salt, basil,oregano,marjoram and thyme.



I tossed the pizza to the best of my abilities which was about half way then I laid it on parchment and spread it out with my fingers to get the shape I wanted. Starting with the sauce I layered sauce, parmesan cheese, mushrooms, mozarella cheese and topped with orange bell pepper rings. The pepper rings were not precooked because they bake up very well in the oven and get very soft. I think precooking them would turn them to mush. Bake your pizza in the lower third of your oven and bake at a high temp. The big boys say 450-800. However high your oven goes. I am a bit of a chicken and I baked this at 400. Took about 20 minutes and the crust was done but not real browned. so next Friday I will go to 450. The result was a flavorful healthy hunk of pizza which paired very well with my spinach sweet potato salad.

1 comment:

TheJuicyDish said...

Since you are such a thoughtful and generous person I thought I would share this recipe for pizza with you. This is what Wolfgang Puck serves at the Oscars. It makes a very elegant presentation.
Smoked Salmon Pizza with Caviar and Dill Crème Fraîche
Makes 16 pieces

16 ounces Pizza Dough
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced cut into julienne strips
1 cup Dill Cream (recipe below)
12 ounces smoked salmon
16 heaping teaspoons black caviar

Dill Cream
1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 500°F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough into 2 10 inch pies or 16 (2 inch) circles or squares or whatever shape you want.
Transfer dough to a rimless sheet; brush with olive oil
Scatter sliced onion over the top.
Bake until crust is golden brown about 6 to 8 minutes.
Mix the Dill Cream sauce with the sour cream or crème fraîche, fresh dill, chopped onion, lemon juice and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Let pizza dough cool for 5 minutes.
Spread the dill cream over the top of the pizza dough leave a small edge.
Divide the salmon, and arrange decoratively over the cream.
Place a spoonful of caviar in the center of each pizza