Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chili the ultimate comfort food.





On this last day in February we recieved two inches of fresh snow. The snow and ice from November was finally gone. Oh what a world!


After doing chores in the crisp cool morning air we came in craving something hearty. So Chili won the vote. Johnny and friend were there to vote and Johnny kept his nose around to critique. We started by sauteing onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot. I only use one pot so a dutch oven or stock pot works well. After a few minutes add hamburger or whatever meat you want.

I have already used up my home grown and canned tomatoes. I was reduced to store bought tomatoes. I bought 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. Pour these into pot add beans I use a large can of red beans and a small can of red kidney. For spices I used twice as much chili powder as I did cumin, 1 tsp. Salt. Add 1/8 tsp liquid smoke and you know those bright green peppers that you put on sub sandwiches, peperoncini, a few of those diced up with a splash of the juice from the bottle. Yummy! Heat it all cook it low for a while. Serve with sour cream and a few peperoncini.

No comments: